So if you thought that wall behind the bed in my last post looked a little bare, you're right. But don't worry, we've got plans for a beautiful headboard. We ordered it from At Home Furniture, the closest unpainted furniture store to Chicago, which is halfway to Milwaukee in Libertyville! On Sunday Ed and I borrowed generous neighbor Reggie's van and drove to pick up the headboard and a shelving cubby thing, too.
On Day 6 of Decorating Vacation I set out to stain it. (Day 4 was spent painting the bedroom closet. See next post. Days 3 and 5 were spent relaxing.) Now, I've only ever stained one thing in my life, and that is this lovely frame built by my very talented brother-in-law. Originally this was supposed to be my bathroom mirror, but it ended up too big for the space (my miscalculation, not Andy's). But it does fit perfectly in our hallway and covers the ugly metal fuse box. Andy built it last summer and it took me several months to stain it, and then almost half a year to figure out how to get the mirror in the back (brads; those mirror triangles didn't work). Not knowing what I was doing, I brushed the stain/poly combo on, and it ended up dripping a lot. So I sanded and restained, but it still has some serious drippage.
So before attempting the headboard, I called my mother, who has refinished lots of furniture, for some tips. (The lady at the furniture store also clued me in.) You wipe the stain on with a rag, not a brush! Aha. That worked lots better as you can see from this lovely headboard. It's actually a bit darker in real life and should match our other furniture pretty well. I'm not going for the perfectly matched look anyway. I also have this idea to add some dark bamboo in those rectangles. We'll see how that works.
I also took this old (VERY heavy) mirror that I've had leaned up against a wall and sanded and stained it, too. This is a trash find. I'm hoping Ed can attached it to the wall behind the door. I have to have a full-length mirror to check how my shoes match my outfit. As soon as I'm done blogging, I'm off to do the all-important sealer stage. Two coats on the whole thing; and three on the front of the headboard, where it will get more wear. Then a few days of drying and we'll attempt the actual installation. Progress...