Sunday, September 10, 2006

What's it all a-grout?

Since I haven't done much decorating lately, I thought I'd share a combo craft/decorating project I finally finished at the end of the summer, one that I had been planning for awhile but never got around to for many months. It's all part of my fantasy of becoming a funky mosaic artist. In fact, I've been collecting pieces of glass and tile for a few years now (even moved some broken glass from my old condo. Shhh. Don't tell my husband that).

I've had this unpainted wooden plant stand that I got from Ikea for $3 or so scheduled for my first, practice tile project, but it took me forever to find tiles to fit the space perfectly. Finally, bingo, I got lucky with these cool assorted slate ones from Home Depot (total cost: less than $20), which not only fit on the table top and second level, but also came with matching mini ones that fit on the sides.

So first I painted the plant stand black, then used off white grout (the ready mixed kind)n to stick on the tiles. After that dried I decided it would look better with grey grout, so used grey to do the finishing. Grouting is a mess, because you have to wipe off more than what stays on there, but it's really cool to see the tiles emerge from the mud.


















While I had all the tiling supplies out, I also did this tray I've had planned for about a year (are you getting the proscrastination vibe?). I bought these tiles, even though they didn't fit perfectly because I loved the color and thought they had a cool Indian feel. I painted this old tray (which the previous owner of our condo left in a closet) the red from my kitchen wall. Now here's the amazing part: In order to make the narrow tiles in the middle fit, I actually sanded the edges about a 1/4 inch on two of them. This took approximately 3 hours of sanding spread out over 2 weeks. I'm learning that one of the hardest parts of tiling projects is finding tiles to fit your project. This will not be a problem with mosaics. Now that I've got grouting down, I'm ready to break some dishes. Someday I dream of a broken china kitchen backsplash (probably not in this condo, though).

7 Comments:

At 8:54 PM, Blogger Barb said...

Oh, very cool. I have been wanting to make one of these also, and I hadn't thought of IKEA as a source for the base. Good idea.

 
At 4:00 AM, Blogger One Chic Chick said...

I love the look of mosaic, but you're right, it's very messy! I'm glad you stopped by my blog...I will check all of yours (5?!) out when I have more time to spend perusing! :)

-Joy

 
At 2:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice site man! Very nicely done. I will be back!
- www.spiritualdecorator.blogspot.com 9
07 car civic honda
buy used car
car undefined used
used car bergen
used car oakland
used car greensboro
used car raleigh
used car killeen
used car vallejo
used car tacoma

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Amy Elise Designs said...

Thanks for opening upi your home and sharing your space! I have a house that is always in need of help and organization! I like your closets! It gives me ideas!

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger bluecorduroy said...

hi heidi! i just popped over from blue corduroy to let you know that i was able to comment on your comment- i was able to because for some reason your name was highlighted. you are a very diversly talented women- it was fun to see what you've got going on. i saw that you read and talked about an anne lammont book- i read one of hers a while back and really enjoyed it.

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger kelly said...

Hi, thank you stopping by and leaving such a nice comment. Your plant stand looks great. I love plant stands, they really add character to a boring corner!

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger Teri McClain said...

I love your blogs... the stand is awesome, and your girl a after my own heart!! I lovvvve doing mosaics too. We are traveling to Vietnam next month to bring home our baby girl! Hope you have a speedy referral!!

Teri

www.reflectingthelightofthemoon.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>